Wangford Wangford Arms
previously known as: Lion, White Lion, Red Lionhistorical era: late 20th century
35 High St
grid reference TM 465 792Something we've got wrong about this establishment? Something more you think we should know about it? Please email us
View in Google Earth
Wangford is part of the Wangford with Henham parish
CAMRA North-East Suffolk branch.
last updated 04/06/2016
A short lived micro brewery was based here.
Known as just the Lion until the 1960s, when the "White" was prepended to the pub's name.
A report in the Ipswich Journal** in Sep 1855 states that :
To be sold by auction, at the Lion Inn, Wangford, a portion of the neat household furniture, featherbeds and bedding, and general household requisites, the property of Mr N Wright, who is changing his residence.
A report in the Ipswich Journal** in Feb 1865 states :
At the Halesworth Petty Sessions of 8th February 1865, the license to the Lion, Wangford, was transferred from James Terry to Langley Sewel Smythe
Historically listed as a hotel (with good accommodation for cyslists & motorists in 1912).
(Most pub, location & historic details collated by Nigel, Tony or Keith - original sources are credited)
(some old PO directory information courtesy of londonpublichouse.com)
(** historic newspaper information from Stuart Ansell)