Walsham le Willows Blue Boar
previously known as Boar
The Street, IP33 3AA
- 12-2:30; 5-12 (Mon-Fri); 12-11:30 (Sat-Sun)
regular real ales
Adnams Broadside, Southwold
1 changing guest
listed building grade II
View in Google Earth
Local licensing authority for Walsham le Willows is Mid Suffolk
CAMRA West Suffolk & Borders branch.
last updated 23/05/2016
A true free house with a fine selection of ales on handpump and gravity. A good supporter of local breweries. There is a May bank Holiday beer festival in a marquee in the garden. Regular live bands. Disabled toilet.
The building dates from the 15th century, with many subsequent alterations. The pub can apparently be traced back as far as 1360.
Beer served through handpulls
Beer served direct from the barrel by gravity
Lunchtime meals (not just snacks)
Restaurant or separate dining area
Traditional pub games available
Pub is accessible to disabled customers
Bus stop nearby (see public transport tab for details)
Beer garden or other outside drinking area
(Most pub, location & historic details collated by Nigel, Tony or Keith - original sources are credited)
(1891 census information from Dudley Diaper)
(some old PO directory information courtesy of londonpublichouse.com)
(** historic newspaper information from Stuart Ansell)
(*** historic newspaper information from Bob Mitchell)
The blue boar was a heraldic sign for the Earl of Oxford a leading supporter of the Lancastrians who defeated and killed King Richard III at Bosworth in 1495 - Henry Tudor then became Henry VII - Richard's emblem was a white boar forcing some pub signs to be hastily repainted.