late 20th century
grid reference TM 413 527
View in Google Earth
last updated 29/09/2014
The pub closed on July 20th 1942 when the entire village was evacuated to allow it to be taken over for military purposes. It wasn't reopened until March 25th 1948.
(Most pub, location & historic details collated by Nigel, Tony or Keith - original sources are credited)
 Woodbridge licensing records.
(some old PO directory information courtesy of londonpublichouse.com)
(** historic newspaper information from Stuart Ansell)
(*** historic newspaper information from Bob Mitchell)
(**** Last Orders is a free local newsletter - published by Suffolk CAMRA memers since 1978)
The chequerboard as a pub sign may have its origins from Roman taverns when a board game like draughts was often advertised and played. It may also be an ancient sign to indicate the landlord was a money-lender or could offer secure storage for a travellers valuables.