Scroll through other Sudbury closed premises
The building probably dates from the 17th century, but has been much altered. It has stood empty for some time, but there are plans to convert it into several retail units.
A report in the Bury & Norwich Post** on Aug-05 in 1835 when Thomas Mills was the landlord states that:
Mr John Crisp Gooday, Surveyor of Taxes, Mr Francis Sykes Gooday, his son, an attorney, and Mr Blestoe Smith, surgeon,were indicted for causing a riot in Sudbury a few days before an election. These three men were selected as they were the most active in directing the mob. Thomas Mills, landlord of the Bear Inn (a Blue), stated that he saw Smith (a Yellow) at his back gate directing twenty persons armed with walking sticks and brocken faggots. Even though stones and coins were thrown and many windows broken by a 200 strong mob, a police constable on the scene believed there was no riot whatever. The three accussed were aquitted.
There was a brewery here in the 19th century; the Bury Free Press*** of August 20th 1864 reported:
Valuable Inn and small brewery to be lett in Sudbury called the Bear Inn and brewery situated in the best possible position for trade in Sudbury being in the neighbourhood of the railway line and large wharves and maltings.
listed building grade II
last updated 30/12/2014
(Most pub, location & historic details collated by Nigel, Tony or Keith - original sources are credited)
(** historic newspaper information from Stuart Ansell)
(*** report reproduced with kind permission from Foxearth & District Local History Society)
(**** historic newspaper information from Bob Mitchell)
(***** Last Orders is a free local newsletter - published by Suffolk CAMRA memers since 1978)
(some old PO directory information courtesy of londonpublichouse.com)