Sudbury Four Swans
also traded as as: Lionhistorical era: late 20th century
10 North St
grid reference TL 873 414Something we've got wrong about this establishment? Something more you think we should know about it? Please email us
View in Google Earth
CAMRA West Suffolk & Borders branch.
last updated 18/05/2016
A Victorian brewery was on the site.
A report in the Ipswich Journal** on 05 Feb in 1857 states that :
G.G. CROSS, Late of the Christopher Inn, Sepulchre St, Sudbury…in consequence of the expiration of the above Inn, he has purchased commodious Premises, known as the Lion Inn, North Street, situate in the principle thoroughfare of the town, and within 2 minutes walk of the Railway Station & Corn Exchange…These premises are now open under the name of "The Four Swans Commercial Inn" (Thanks given) for the last 14 years
Former Commercial Inn & Posting House.
In Mar 1981 edition of Last Orders*** it was reported that the Four Swans was stocking Ind Coope bitter on handpump. In Mar 1982 it was also reported to be offering Burton ale.
(Most pub, location & historic details collated by Nigel, Tony or Keith - original sources are credited)
(some old PO directory information courtesy of londonpublichouse.com)
(** historic newspaper information from Bob Mitchell)
(*** Last Orders is a free local newsletter - published by Suffolk CAMRA memers since 1978)