Join CAMRA online
Photo of Christopher Hotel

Sudbury Christopher Hotel


closed 1989 ish

10 Gainsborough St

grid reference TL 872 412

Something we've got wrong about this establishment? Something more you think we should know about it? Please email us

listed building grade II

View in Google Earth

CAMRA West Suffolk & Borders branch.

last updated 11/04/2015

Now a drop-in centre.

The building dates from the 18th or 19th century.

Also listed at 10 Sepulchre Street (in 1865 - 1892)

An earlier Christopher Tavern also stood on the same site.

A report in the Ipswich Journal** in Jun 1805 states that :

To be sold by private contract a common brewery in Sudbury, now in the occupation of the proprietor, Mr Jehu Shave, who is retiring from the business on account of his health. The premises consist of a good dwelling house, with 3 parlours, 2 kitchens, a pantry, 6 chambers, ample cellars; the out buildings, of a brewing office, mill house, granary, and stable with a garden contiguous; also the public house called the Christopher, adjoining the above premises; containing 2 parlours, a large tap room 22ft square, a good cellar, and stabling for 4 horses. The whole are freehold, and have lately been put in most excellent repair, and may be entered upon Michaelmas next. The stock and utensils of the brewery to be taken at a fair valuation, and to accommodate the purchaser £500 may remain, upon giving proper security.

A report in the Ipswich Journal*** on 26 Oct in 1869 states that :

The licensed Victuallers Tea Association advertised the sale of tea via its Suffolk Agents. This was a response to the irregular sale of Wine by Grocers and included a reference to J.W. DOUBLE of the Christopher Hotel, Sudbury.

A report in Last Orders**** in Jan 1981 said Mrs Dorrie Langford was leaving the pub at end of 1980. He husband, Sid had died earlier in year and she had found it impossible to continue.

In Nov/Dec 1981 edition of Last Orders**** it was reported that Colin Dennet was new landlord of Christopher (prev. from Cardiff) with three beers on hand pump.

(Most pub, location & historic details collated by Nigel, Tony or Keith - original sources are credited)

(some old PO directory information courtesy of londonpublichouse.com)

(** historic newspaper information from Stuart Ansell)

(*** historic newspaper information from Bob Mitchell)

(**** Last Orders is a free local newsletter - published by Suffolk CAMRA members since 1978)