Stratford St Mary SwanReal Ale is available here
Lower St, CO7 6JR
grid reference TM 043 341
owner Mark & Sophie Dorber
bar / diner
(details under review)Something we've got wrong about this establishment? Something more you think we should know about it? Please email us
- Wed-Sun: 1100-2300
- Wed-Sun: 1200-1500, 1800-2100
listed building grade II
View in Google Earth
Local licensing authority for Stratford St Mary is Babergh
CAMRA Ipswich & East Suffolk branch.
last updated 28/12/2016
An attractive and lively two bar pub in the village centre. An area to the rear of the lounge bar is used for dining. Pool and other pub games are available in public bar.
The building is part of a historic former coaching inn dating from about 1520. The original medieval structure was at least 3 times larger than what now remains and included a second wing located on the far side of the car-park, which was eventually destroyed by fire.
The inn also once had stabling to the rear of the premises, for about 200 horses. George II once stayed overnight here on route to London. On the other side of the road is a Victorian pumping station close to the remains of a lock on the River Stour, which is the county boundary and was once navigable from Manningtree (in Essex) to Sudbury.
The pub offers two to three cask ales, plus the odd beer on gravity from the cellar and over 75 bottle conditioned beers - a list that will grow.
A hop garden has been planted at the pub and a (very) small on-site brewery started production in September 2016.
The pub has been owned since late 2012 by Sophie and Mark Dorber. The Dorbers also own and run the Walberswick Anchor.
Lunchtime meals (not just snacks)
Separate public bar
Traditional pub games available
Bus stop nearby (see public transport tab for details)
Beer garden or other outside drinking area
(Most pub, location & historic details collated by Nigel, Tony or Keith - original sources are credited)
(some old PO directory information courtesy of londonpublichouse.com)
(** information from Stuart Ansell)
(*** historic newspaper information from Bob Mitchell)