Stowmarket Railway Tavern
previously known as Railway Hotel & Refreshment rooms
closed 1978 (Aug)
grid reference TM 051 588
View in Google Earth
last updated 17/08/2015
Now a children's centre.
May also be listed in Albion St and Stowupland due to road and boundary changes. Also listed in Station Rd (in 1912 & 1922)
An advert in the The Bury and Norwich Post**** on Tue 13 March 1866 lists this pub as part of the sale of Stonham Brewery together with 26 other premises.
A report in the Bury & Norwich Post** on Dec-28 in 1869 when George Martin was the landlord states that:
Martin was Fined 5s and 7s. 6d. Costs for selling beer in prohibited hours on a Sunday.
A report in the Ipswich Journal** in Apr 1875 states that :
To be sold by auction the household furniture and sundry effects of the late Mr John Martin.
At the Stowmarket Petty Sessions of May 3rd 1875 the license for the Railway tavern was transferred to Mr Samuel Bloomfield.
A report in the Ipswich Journal*** on 31 Mar in 1887 states that :
The Railway Hotel, Mellis, Mr James EAST, is removing to the Railway Tavern, Stowmarket.
Called the Railway Hotel after 1888 after it was purchased by Tollemache & Co from Charles Cullingham & Co (Brook St brewery).
(Most pub, location & historic details collated by Nigel, Tony or Keith - original sources are credited)
(detailed information from Neil Langridge - and also Brian Southgate - see their book "Stowmarket, Combs and Stowupland Pubs" published by Polstead Press in 2009)
(some old PO directory information courtesy of londonpublichouse.com)
(** historic newspaper information from Stuart Ansell)
(*** historic newspaper information from Bob Mitchell)
(**** historical details supplied by Neil Langridge)
Stowmarket station opened in Dec 1846 with the first train from Ipswich, Colchester and London arriving on 27th Dec before heading to Bury St Edmunds. The station building, designed by Frederick Barnes was not completed until 1849.