Stowmarket Pot of Flowers
also traded as as: Flowerpott, Tyrell Armshistorical era: late 20th century
opened 1707 circa
90-92 Bury St
grid reference TM 047 589Something we've got wrong about this establishment? Something more you think we should know about it? Please email us
listed building grade II
View in Google Earth
CAMRA Ipswich & East Suffolk branch.
last updated 28/12/2016
The pub was called the Tyrell Arms from 1831 to 1844 (The Tyrells were a local family resident at Gipping Hall).
Now residential, the building dates from the late 18th century.
It's often referred to as The Flowerpott in old documents.
Like quite a few other Stow pubs it was owned in the late 18th century by the Aldrich family of brewers until when, in 1805 John Aldrich, in financial trouble signed all his pubs in and around Stowmarket over to his father in law John Cobbold, the Ipswich brewer.
(detailed information from Neil Langridge - and also Brian Southgate - see their book "Stowmarket, Combs and Stowupland Pubs" published by Polstead Press in 2009)
(some old PO directory information courtesy of londonpublichouse.com)
(** historic newspaper information from Stuart Ansell)
(*** historic newspaper information from Bob Mitchell)
The name also occurs elsewhere in the country and may have referred to the Lily that was associated with The Virgin Mary, if so this would suggest that pubs of this name dated back to before the Reformation and the reluctance to use the name afterwards, There is no evidence to put the Stowmarket pub back that far though.