Stowmarket Little Wellington
previously known as Wellington, Sutton's
12 Stowupland Rd, IP14 5AG
grid reference TM 051 590
opened 1850 circa
owner Peter Garner
- Mon-Sat: 1200-0000
- Sun: 1200-2300
regular real ales
Greene King IPA + guest beer
Originally only a beerhouse, the Little Wellington got its full license on February 2nd 1958.
View in Google Earth
Local licensing authority for Stowmarket is Mid Suffolk
last updated 05/07/2015
An excellent community pub, convenient for the railway station. A pub with a reputation for good value Sunday lunches. Live music on Saturday evenings.
Purchased from Greene King by pub regular Peter Garner, who renovated and re-opened it in March 2011.
Beer served through handpulls
Lunchtime meals (not just snacks)
Traditional pub games available
Real coal or log fire
Dogs are welcome
Children are welcome
Pub is accessible to disabled customers
Bus stop nearby (see public transport tab for details)
Railway station about 0.1 mile away (see public transport tab for details)
Regular live music
Beer garden or other outside drinking area
(Most pub, location & historic details collated by Nigel, Tony or Keith - original sources are credited)
(detailed information from Neil Langridge - and also Brian Southgate - see their book "Stowmarket, Combs and Stowupland Pubs" published by Polstead Press in 2009)
In 1830 the Duke of Wellington was Prime Minister when the the Beer Act was introduced to help create Beer Houses - a new lower tier of premises permitted to sell alcohol. Under the 1830 Act any householder who paid rates could apply, with a one-off payment of two guineas, to sell beer or cider in their home (usually the front parlour) and even brew on the premises. The permission did not extend to the sale of spirits or fortified wines.