High St, IP27 0AX
grid reference TL 783 870
opened 16th Cent
- Mon-Thu: 1100-2300
- Fri-Sat: 1100-0100
- Sun: 1200-2300
regular real ales
GK (varies), Marston's Pedigree
4 changing beers
listed building grade II
View in Google Earth
Local licensing authority for Brandon is Forest Heath
CAMRA West Suffolk & Borders branch.
last updated 22/05/2016
Attractive, G2 listed building with some parts dating back 500 years. There has been a pub on this site since 1349.
Also has a good reputation for food.
Said to be the oldest surviving building in Brandon. It does not have conventional foundations but "floats" on a raft of slate! From the back of the building it is easy to see various phases in the growth of this old building as new sections have been added through the years. Also to the rear of the property is an ancient "protected" tree.
Lunchtime meals (not just snacks)
Restaurant or separate dining area
Function room available to hire
Camping or carvan site within about a mile
Traditional pub games available
Pub is accessible to disabled customers
Bus stop nearby (see public transport tab for details)
Railway station about 0.10 mile away (see public transport tab for details)
WiFi available (a charge may apply)
Beer garden or other outside drinking area
(Most pub, location & historic details collated by Nigel, Tony or Keith - original sources are credited)
(some old PO directory information courtesy of londonpublichouse.com)
(1872 BSE Record Office details & Slater's Royal National and Commercial Directory 1850 from Ken Griffin)
(** historic newspaper information from Bob Mitchell)