previously known as Angel
opened 16th cent (early)
closed 1982 (Nov)
2 Market Place
grid reference TM 048 586
listed building grade II
View in Google Earth
last updated 16/08/2015
Now offices, the building is thought to date from the late 17th century though some parts are earlier (late 14th century).
It was called the Angel before 1810 and then owned by John Aldrich. After 1810 it was owned by John Cobbold, the Ipswich brewer.
In 1874 carriers from pub included Bloomfield on Tue & Fri to Botesdale.
There was previous Greyhound Inn on the other side of Tavern Street which closed in about 1799.
A report in the Bury & Norwich Post** on Jul-31 in 1844 when John Taylor was the landlord states that:
Frederick Borely, aged 18, was found guilty of setting fire to a bean stack the property of Ambrose Canler. John Taylor, landlord of the Greyhound, Stowmarket, was called to give evidence in support of the defence's claim that two witnesses had conspired against
Borely. Taylor told the Court that both men had been in his house but he could not remember any of their conversations.
A very ancient Inn which was originally named the Angel, renamed The Greyhound in 1805 when John Cobbold took over the Aldrich pubs.
The earliest reference is in a will of 1524. As with many Inns in the town this one had its own maltings in the yard.
A reference in the Ipswich Journal*** on 21 & 28 May 1726 to Mr William Bunn at the Greyhound in Stowmarket.
It was left to William Aldrich by his father in law William Bunn in 1750.
Recently the building has been looked at by an expert on timber framed buildings and part has been dated to the 14th century.
A report in the Ipswich Journal** in Mar 1800 states that :
On Saturday the 28th, George Holden, of the White Horse Inn, Stowmarket, married Mrs Payne, of the Greyhound, Stowmarket.
(Most pub, location & historic details collated by Nigel, Tony or Keith - original sources are credited)
(detailed information by Neil Langridge - and also Brian Southgate - see their book "Stowmarket, Combs and Stowupland Pubs" published in 2009)
(some old PO directory information courtesy of londonpublichouse.com)
(** historic newspaper information from Stuart Ansell)
(*** historic newspaper information from Bob Mitchell)