27 Ipswich St
grid reference TM 049 585
listed building grade II
View in Google Earth
last updated 05/07/2015
Now subdivided into several shops and a wine-bar, the Fox dates from the 17th century, with frequent alterations since.
This was historically a family & commercial hotel and posting house.
An Inn called the Fox is mentioned in fire insurance records dating from 1775.
A report in the Ipswich Journal** in Jan 1875 states :
About 50 persons sat down to the Stowmarket Supper, held at the Fox Hotel, in January 1875. The very excellent dinner was presided over by Captain H A Oakes, churchwarden, and provided by the hosts Mr and Mrs Bridges.
A report in the Ipswich Journal** in Jan 1895 states :
The Stowmarket Choir annual dinner was held at the Fox Hotel, in January 1895, where about 30 persons sat down to an excellent repast served by their host Garrard, after which a very pleasant evening was spent in toast and song.
For most of the 19th Century it was owned by just two families, first the Lockwoods and then the Bridge family. By 1897 was owned by the Tollemache Brewery. The old Coach yard is now used as a small shopping precinct. The name recalled by a bronze statue of a fox. Interestingly a few years ago the original of this bronze appeared on BBC's TV programe "Crimewatch" when it was stolen from the sculpter's garden, It isn't known if it was ever recovered.
(Most pub, location & historic details collated by Nigel, Tony or Keith - original sources are credited)
(detailed information from Neil Langridge - and also Brian Southgate - see their book "Stowmarket, Combs and Stowupland Pubs" published by Polstead Press in 2009)
(some old PO directory information courtesy of londonpublichouse.com)
(** historic newspaper information from Stuart Ansell)
(*** historic newspaper information from Bob Mitchell)