Stowmarket Duke's Head
previously known as White Swan, Cherry Tree
opened 1660 circa
closed September 2014
last owner Stonegate
Ipswich St, IP14 1AZ
grid reference TM 050 584
listed building grade II
View in Google Earth
CAMRA Ipswich & East Suffolk branch.
last updated 20/01/2016
This was a busy pub with a good range of food served daily.
The building dates from the late 18th century.
Reported in the EADT to be closed and boarded up, September 2014 and still in this state when visited early in 2015.
Found converted into a chain eatery when visited in August 2015.
The adjacent Duke's Head Meadows were a regular venue for travelling cinema shows until they were eventually banned because their projectors were a terrible fire-hazard in the tents they used. The site is now home to the Regal cinema.
(Most pub, location & historic details collated by Nigel, Tony or Keith - original sources are credited)
(some old PO directory information courtesy of londonpublichouse.com)
(** historic newspaper information from Stuart Ansell)
(*** historic newspaper information from Bob Mitchell)