Stowmarket Duke of Wellington
previously known as Wellington Inn
opened 1864 circa
grid reference TM 051 590
View in Google Earth
CAMRA Ipswich & East Suffolk branch.
last updated 02/04/2016
Listed historically in Stowupland, this former pub is now offices.
Opened by Stowmarket Brewery in about 1864 and leased to Philips brothers of Stowmarket. Soon after sold to tenant Mr Leeks, who then sold it to John Cobbold in 1866.
A report in the Ipswich Journal** in Oct 1865 states :
At the auction of the Stowmarket Brewery, in October 1865, nine properties belonging to the brewery were sold in separate Lots. Lot 7, the Wellington, near the railway gates, Stowupland, with 2 adjoining cottages, all freehold, was knocked down, at £480, to Mr Leeks.
It closed about 1975. Later Offices of Ellis & Everard. This pub was originally in Stowupland, being on the north side of the River Gipping which used to be the parish boundary.
(Most pub, location & historic details collated by Nigel, Tony or Keith - original sources are credited)
(detailed information from Neil Langridge - and also Brian Southgate - see their book "Stowmarket, Combs and Stowupland Pubs" published by Polstead Press in 2009)
(some old PO directory information courtesy of londonpublichouse.com)
(** historic newspaper information from Stuart Ansell)
In 1830 the Duke of Wellington was Prime Minister when the the Beer Act was introduced to help create Beer Houses - a new lower tier of premises permitted to sell alcohol. Under the 1830 Act any householder who paid rates could apply, with a one-off payment of two guineas, to sell beer or cider in their home (usually the front parlour) and even brew on the premises. The permission did not extend to the sale of spirits or fortified wines.