Stonham Parva Brewers' Arms
previously known as Stonham Tap?, Viscount Arms?, Stonham Arms?
grid reference TM 118 593
View in Google Earth
last updated 04/07/2015
This pub may historically have just been inside Stonham Aspal, but the current boundary leaves it inside Parva.
A report in the Bury & Norwich Post** on Jul-19 in 1892 when George & Angelina Markin were the landlord and landlady states that:
They had been in charge of the Brewers Arms at Stonham Parva for 22 years (1869-1891). There had never been a written agreement between the tenants and the owner, Edwin Popplewell Dawson, brewer, until 1889. By 1890 they had been issued with a notice to quit, and left October 1891, being replaced by George Wright. Their departure was far from smooth with Dawson suing the Markins for £34 11s 9d for dilapitation citing 84 seperate repairs. The Markins counter sued for £50 for damage to their garden (caused by Dawsons builders). The Court ruled that Dawson pay £15 compensation and the Markins £10 to each other in compensation.
May also be listed on Turnpike Road.
An advert in the The Bury and Norwich Post**** on Tue 13 March 1866 lists this pub (Stonham Arms) as part of the sale of Stonham Brewery together with 26 other premises.
1879 and 1881 entries based on landlord's name and occupation, but one or both could refer to Stonham Hotel, or Stonham Hotel could be another name for the Brewers Arms pub.
(Most pub, location & historic details collated by Nigel, Tony or Keith - original sources are credited)
(1891 census information from Dudley Diaper)
(** historic newspaper information from Stuart Ansell)
(*** historic newspaper information from Bob Mitchell)
(**** historical details supplied by Neil Langridge)