Stonham Aspal Ten Bells
opened 16th century
closed March 20th, 2013
A1120, IP14 6AF
grid reference TM 134 595
listed building grade II
View in Google Earth
last updated 29/07/2015
This 16th century pub had three bars and a disabled toilet.
According to Alfred Hedges' book, "Inns and Inn Signs of Norfolk and Suffolk", the name refers not to the number of bells in the local church, but to "the activities of the local team of handbell ringers".
It has been closed since March 20th 2013. A local campaign was organised to buy the pub for the village, but this failed to raise enough money.
The pub is now Casa Mexico, a shop selling meso-American trinkets.
A report in the Ipswich Journal** in Sep 1835 states :
To be sold by auction, at the Ten Bells, Stonham Aspel, all the household furniture, linen, rare old china, glass, tin and wood ware, stock in trade, working tools and other effects, of Mr Clarke Tydeman, publican and blacksmith, deceased, (by order of the Administrator); comprising 6 featherbeds and bedding, mahogany 4-post and other bedsteads and hangings, mahogany dining and other tables, parlour, kitchen, and chamber chairs; copper goods, etc., with general assortment of domestic requisites. The stock in trade consists of a quantity of bar and other iron, 3 pair of blacksmith's bellows, 2 anvils, 2 bench vices, forge troughs, 2 stocks and taps, a capital grindstone with a general assortment of blacksmith's tools.
A report in the Ipswich Journal** in Oct 1875 states :
To be sold by auction, the whole of the household furniture and effects; also, the whole of the stock in trade of a wheelwright's business, late the property of Mrs Shulver, deceased, of the Ten Bells, Stonham.
(Most pub, location & historic details collated by Nigel, Tony or Keith - original sources are credited)
(some old PO directory information courtesy of londonpublichouse.com)
(** historic newspaper information from Stuart Ansell)
(*** historic newspaper information from Bob Mitchell)