Stoke by Nayland Black Horse
previously known as White Horse (Polstead)
Polstead St, CO6 4SA
grid reference TL 988 363
listed building grade II
View in Google Earth
CAMRA West Suffolk & Borders branch.
last updated 04/07/2015
A pretty two bar pub which was located close to old quoit pitches, and is now converted back to residential use.
It was historically in Polstead, but transferred into Stoke by Nayland due to boundary changes, probably in 1935 but possibly in 1884. (Listed in Stoke By Nayland in 1911 census, but in Polstead in earlier censuses).
The previous name of the White Horse could be confused with White the Horse in School St.
1901 census records the White Horse, Polstead St., Polstead, presumably before the boundary change to Stoke By Nayland. (White Horse, School St., is recorded in Stoke By Nayland.)
In Apr/May 1982 edition of Last Orders*** it was reported that the Black Horse (Ind Coope) had bitter on handpump.
(Most pub, location & historic details collated by Nigel, Tony or Keith - original sources are credited)
(*** Last Orders is a free local newsletter - published by Suffolk CAMRA memers since 1978)