Southwold King's Head
opened 1743 (rebuilt 1864)
closed August 2013
23 High St, IP18 6AD
grid reference TM 505 763
listed building grade II
View in Google Earth
last updated 18/08/2015
This large open plan lounge diner retained a small public bar in one area.
It was first licensed in 1743.
The pub closed mid-August 2013 after several months under temporary management. The future currently under review but it's been reported that it may become a police station, though other reports suggest an Italian restaurant. As of mid-August 2015, the building has been de-signed but is still empty.
Also listed at Baronby/Barnaby Green (1839/1840) and in South Street.
A paperback book*** published in 1969, called "Inns of the Suffolk Coast" by Leonard P Thompson** contains the following description:
It was first licensed in 1743. On 13th October, 1764, the Ipswich Journal announced "An Ancient Inn" called the King's Head at Southwold was to be let. It had recently been rebuilt, with a sashed front, had stabling for 20 horses, besides a common stable for market horses, a large garden and an acre of land. It was offered for £15. Kelly's Directory for 1896 reads "John Marshall, King's Head Inn & Forester's Hall & Dining Rooms; good accommodation for Beanfeast parties. John was succeeded by his widow, Emma, who also ran a grocer's shop next to the inn.
A report in the Ipswich Journal*** on 13 Oct 1744 states :
To be lett, the King's Head in Southwould, with five rooms on a floor, lately re-built, with a sashed front, and neatly fitted up, with good Stabling for twenty Horses to Stand In, besides a Common Stable for Market Horses, with good Wine Vaults, a large Garden Place, and about an Acre of Land, with other Conveniences thereto belonging, at the Rent of £15 per Annum. Enquire of Mr Robert Thompson of Southwould, aforesaid.
A report in the Ipswich Journal** in Mar 1865 states that :
To be sold by auction, Lot 2, the King's head Inn, Southwold, a most eligible and well accustomed freehold public house, situated facing the entrance to the town, in the High Street, in the Occupation of Jno. Goldsmith, a most respectable tenant, a substantial and convenient premises, containing bar, parlour, kitchen, cellar, pantry, washhouse, and four bedrooms; a four stalled stable, gig house and cow house.
Pub suffered bomb damage during World War 2 - see picture at EADT
(Most pub, location & historic details collated by Nigel, Tony or Keith - original sources are credited)
(some old PO directory information courtesy of londonpublichouse.com)
(** historic newspaper information from Stuart Ansell)
(*** historic book information from Bob Mitchell)
(**** Reference to pub seen in Southwold Diary of James Maggs (1818-1876) published by Suffolk Records Society in 2007)