Southwold Harbour Inn
previously known as Harbour of Refuge, Ship, Fishing Buss
Blackshore Quay, IP18 6TA
grid reference TM 496 755
bar / diner
regular real ales
Adnams Broadside, Southwold, Ghost Ship, seasonals
listed building grade II
View in Google Earth
Local licensing authority for Southwold is Waveney district
CAMRA North-East Suffolk branch.
last updated 22/05/2016
This riverside pub is about a mile south of the town centre. A mark on the wall shows the level reached by flood waters in 1953. The split level interior is often dominated by diners during busy periods and a separate restaurant extension has helped to make the venue even more popular during weekends. Nearby a foot ferry and foot bridge help to provide access to Walberswick. A large caravan and camp site located nearby is popular during the summer months.
Lunchtime meals (not just snacks)
Restaurant or separate dining area
Separate public bar
Pub sells beer from local brewers
Function room available to hire
Traditional pub games available
Bus stop nearby (see public transport tab for details)
Beer garden or other outside drinking area
(Most pub, location & historic details collated by Nigel, Tony or Keith - original sources are credited)
(some old PO directory information courtesy of londonpublichouse.com)
(** historic newspaper information from Stuart Ansell)
(*** historic book information from Bob Mitchell)
(**** Reference to pub seen in Southwold Diary of James Maggs (1818-1876) published by Suffolk Records Society in 2007)
A buss was a type of sea-going fishing vessel, typically used by Dutch herring fishermen in the 15th to early 19th centuries.
A Half-and-Halfer, was a type of fishing boat where the proceeds were shared between owner & crew.