Somersham Duke of Marlborough
previously known as Marlborough Head, Marlbro Head
Main Rd, IP8 4QA
grid reference TM 084 487
listed building grade II
View in Google Earth
Local licensing authority for Somersham is Mid Suffolk
CAMRA Ipswich & East Suffolk branch.
last updated 30/03/2016
This 15th century inn was, of late, mainly used as a restaurant at weekends but was still also used as a village local at times.
Two hand-pumps offering Adnams Southwold and Broadside when last visited.
The pub closed after xmas 2014 as the current owners are retiring. The village is hoping to buy the building to run it as a community asset. See Save the Duke for more information if you'd like to get involved.
(Most pub, location & historic details collated by Nigel, Tony or Keith - original sources are credited)
(1891 census information from Dudley Diaper)
(some old PO directory information courtesy of londonpublichouse.com)
(** historic newspaper information from Stuart Ansell)
John Churchill (1650-1722) was the first Duke of Marlborough and became a famous soldier & statesman under James II, William III and Queen Anne - who gave him not just the title but also Blenheim Palace from a grateful nation after winning the War of Spanish Succession.