Brandon Duke of Wellington
closed August 2011
Thetford Rd, IP27 0BZ
grid reference TL 786 865
View in Google Earth
last updated 11/04/2015
Popular friendly bar closed by Greene King in August 2011.
(Most pub, location & historic details collated by Nigel, Tony or Keith - original sources are credited)
(1872 BSE Record Office details from Ken Griffin)
In 1830 the Duke of Wellington was Prime Minister when the the Beer Act was introduced to help create Beer Houses - a new lower tier of premises permitted to sell alcohol. Under the 1830 Act any householder who paid rates could apply, with a one-off payment of two guineas, to sell beer or cider in their home (usually the front parlour) and even brew on the premises. The permission did not extend to the sale of spirits or fortified wines.