previously known as Railway Inn, Refreshment Rooms & Station inn
grid reference TM 385 631
View in Google Earth
last updated 22/06/2015
An inn whose license has been traced back at least as far as 1877. There was also a beerhouse called the Railway Tavern which is now the Cooper's Dip.
The building has been empty and boarded up ever since closure in 2009.
On the 1 June 1859 the East Suffolk Railway Line was opened from Ipswich to Great Yarmouth - the pub probably dates from about that time.
Some 19th-century directories and censuses record "Refreshment Rooms" at the station. However, since these all name Robert Plant, who is also licensee of the Railway Tavern, it seems this must have been a synonym for the Tavern.
One directory quotes the Refreshment rooms as
Adjoining station. Carriages & traps on the shortest notice.
(Most pub, location & historic details collated by Nigel, Tony or Keith - original sources are credited)