9-11 Market Place
grid reference TM 386 632
listed building grade II
View in Google Earth
CAMRA Ipswich & East Suffolk branch.
last updated 06/05/2016
Built late 16th century; the license was surrendered in 1977.
The pub was partially demolished and redeveloped in 1979. (Saxmundham Museum records & photographs)
A reference in the Ipswich Journal** on Nov-10 in 1900 when Herbert Blackhouse was the landlord describes Blackhouse as an innkeepers agent.
A report in the Ipswich Journal** in Dec 1820 states :
To be sold by auction, at the King's Arms, Halesworth, on the 17th January 1821, as part of a large sale of Independent Inns and Public House, of established trade, in Suffolk, Lot 17., the Angel Inn, at Saxmundham. All the houses for sale were described as being substantially brick built, in excellent repair, extremely well accustomed, possessing every convenience for carrying on extensive trades, and are subjected to trifling outgoings.
In 1830 the "Shannon" coach to London (via Woodbridge & Ipswich) left every morning at seven. The "Shannon" to Halesworth (via Yoxford) left every evening at half-past six.
A report in the Ipswich Journal** in Apr 1845 states :
John Lincoln, has removed from the Angel Inn, Saxmundham, and taken the White Hart Inn, in the same town.
(Most pub, location & historic details collated by Nigel, Tony or Keith - original sources are credited)
(some old PO directory information courtesy of londonpublichouse.com)
(** historic newspaper information from Stuart Ansell)