Rushmere St Andrew Golf
Foxhall Rd, IP4 5TR
grid reference TM 203 438
opened July 1928
owner John Barras PubCo
(details under review)
View in Google Earth
Local licensing authority for Rushmere St Andrew is Suffolk Coastal
last updated 24/03/2015
Large 1920s pub, given a renovation in July 2013.
Lunchtime meals (not just snacks)
Restaurant or separate dining area
Traditional separate public bar
Traditional pub games available
Real coal or log fire
Dogs are welcome
Children are welcome
Pub is accessible to disabled customers
Railway station about 1.4 mile away (see public transport tab for details)
Beer garden or other outside drinking area
(Most pub, location & historic details collated by Nigel, Tony or Keith - original sources are credited)
The Golf was first licensed on July 26th 1928, its license being transferred from the closing Bentley Tankard/
Once known as a "Tolly Folly". In the 1930s the Tollemache brewery underwent a large expansion, first taking over the Cambridge Star Brewery and then building a number of vast mock-baronial estate pubs, mostly in Ipswich. The ornate style, and the scale of the expansion, led to these new buildings being known as the Tolly Follies. They were losely based on the design of the Tollemache stately home, Helmingham Hall.
Helmingham Hall is a moated manor house in Helmingham. It was begun by John Tollemache in 1480 and has been owned by the Tollemache family ever since. The house is built around a courtyard in typical late medieval/Tudor style. It is not open to the public.