Oulton Blue Boar
previously known as Boar Inn
Oulton St, NR32 3BB
grid reference TM 526 950
bar / diner
(details under review)
listed building grade II
View in Google Earth
Local licensing authority for Oulton is Waveney district
CAMRA North-East Suffolk branch.
last updated 14/07/2015
A large local pub.
The Blue Boar was a brewpub for a few years in mid-1990s (house beers then included Welder's Armpit & Pheasant Plucker).
Some parts of the building date back to the late 18th century, the front part is from the 19th.
Lunchtime meals (not just snacks)
Traditional separate public bar
Traditional pub games available
Children are welcome
Bus stop nearby (see public transport tab for details)
Railway station about 1.3 mile away (see public transport tab for details)
Beer garden or other outside drinking area
(Most pub, location & historic details collated by Nigel, Tony or Keith - original sources are credited)
(some old PO directory information courtesy of londonpublichouse.com)
(** historic newspaper information from Bob Mitchell)
(*** historic newspaper information from Stuart Ansell)
The blue boar was a heraldic sign for the Earl of Oxford a leading supporter of the Lancastrians who defeated and killed Richard III at Bosworth in 1495 - Henry VII became king - Richards emblem was a white boar forcing some pub signs to be hastily repainted.