Orford Crown & Castle
Castle Hill, IP12 2LJ
grid reference TM 420 498
opened 16th century (rebuilt 1879)
bar / diner
(details under review)
listed building grade II
View in Google Earth
Local licensing authority for Orford is Suffolk Coastal
CAMRA Ipswich & East Suffolk branch.
last updated 16/04/2016
There is a small, comfortable public bar in this hotel which has 18 en suite bedrooms and is owned by Ruth and David Watson. The restaurant has 2 AA rosettes, a Michelin bib gourmand, and good write-ups in all the major guides. Although the pub dates back to the 16th century it was much rebuilt in 1896.
Located within sight of Orford Castle.
Drinks at the C&C
As we are really a restaurant with rooms - not a pub - and have a tiny bar, we can't always accommodate everyone staying (42 people when we are busy) as well as casual drinkers.
Please note, therefore, that we don't serve tea and coffee on their own - only after lunch or dinner.
We serve drinks at lunchtime, in the bar or outside on the terrace, from 12.15 to last orders 2.30pm in the summer. In the winter it's from 12.15 until last orders at 2pm
In the evening, the bar and terrace outside are only open to casual drinkers from 8.30pm onwards.
Beer served through handpulls
Lunchtime meals (not just snacks)
Restaurant or separate dining area
Separate public bar
Pub is accessible to disabled customers
Quiet pub - no electronic games, piped music or jukebox
Beer garden or other outside drinking area
(Most pub, location & historic details collated by Nigel, Tony or Keith - original sources are credited)
(some old PO directory information courtesy of londonpublichouse.com)
(** historic newspaper information from Stuart Ansell)
(*** historic book information from Bob Mitchell)