grid reference TL 638 630Something we've got wrong about this establishment? Something more you think we should know about it? Please email us
CAMRA West Suffolk & Borders branch.last updated 04/07/2018
Newmarket White Lionhistorical era: 21st century
closed some time between August 2015 and June 2017
last owner Greene King
216 High St, CB8 9AP
The nearest pub to the racecourse, with two homely bars and a separate dining room. Accommodation was also available (8 rooms).
The pub was found closed and boarded-up when visited in June 2017. The precise date of closure is unknown, but must have been after August 2015 when our photographer last visited. It was still boarded-up when visited in July 2018, so it seems unlikely it's going to reopen.
(Most pub, location & historic details collated by Nigel, Tony or Keith - original sources are credited)
(some old PO directory information courtesy of londonpublichouse.com)
(** historic newspaper information from Bob Mitchell)
(1830 Pigots Directory & 1869 Kelly's Directory supplied by Sandra Easom)
Old OS map reproduced with the permission of the National Library of Scotland.