Photo of Black Horse

Newmarket Black Horse

historical era: late 20th century

closed 1989

77 High St

grid reference TL 643 633

Something we've got wrong about this establishment? Something more you think we should know about it? Please email us
View in Google Earth

CAMRA West Suffolk & Borders branch.

last updated 17/10/2016

Now used as retail premises.

A report in the Bury & Norwich Post** on Jan-20 in 1874 when Mrs Hill was the landlord states that :

James Jeffery stole a blanket from Mrs Hill which he later pawned for 3s 6d. He was described as a painter and glazier on the tramp.

A report in the Bury & Norfolk Post & Suffolk Herald*** on 01 Sep in 1874 states that :

Mrs Clara HILLS, landlady of the Black Horse Inn, Newmarket, was accused of allowing a lodger to occupy a room and a bed, which a man afflicted with small-pox had occupied previously (prior) to being removed to hospital.

A report in the Bury & Norfolk Post & Suffolk Herald*** on 07 Aug in 1883 states that :

The Newmarket Black Horse, for many a long day in the tenancy of Mrs HILLS & her late husband, will, in future, be tenanted by a former employee of the Black Bear Hotel.
(NOTE: sadly neither names are mentioned!)

(Most pub, location & historic details collated by Nigel, Tony or Keith - original sources are credited)

(** historic newspaper information from Stuart Ansell)

(*** historic newspaper information from Bob Mitchell)

(1830 Pigots Directory supplied by Sandra Easom)