Bramfield Bellhistorical era: late 20th century
closed October 2008
The St (A144), IP19 9HT
grid reference TM 399 739Something we've got wrong about this establishment? Something more you think we should know about it? Please email us
View in Google Earth
CAMRA North-East Suffolk branch.
last updated 06/12/2016
This was a basic drinkers' pub with "ring the bull" game.
Closed down in October 2008; the owners reportedly still living in the building. Noted to be on the market in April 2010.
When visited during the summer of 2013, the building appeared to have been abandoned, with rubbish visible through the window unchanged over a couple of months. When visited in August 2016 it was in the same state; the suspicion that it's been abandoned being strengthened by the fact that the curtains haven't moved from the position they were in back in 2013.
Originally only licensed as a beerhouse, the Bell got its full license on February 5th, 1962.
A report in the Ipswich Journal** in May 1875 states that :
To be sold by auction as part of the estate of the late Robert Haward, gentleman, deceased.
Lot 1. A beer house, called the Bell Inn, with messuage and pightle adjoining, held by Edwards and Furrington. Two months later it was reported that at the auction held at the King's Arms, Halesworth, Lot 1 a beerhouse, cottage and 0a 3r 22p of land sold for £420 and trees at £5.
Note: Landlord entries for Robert William Edwards are based on the above report.
(Most pub, location & historic details collated by Nigel, Tony or Keith - original sources are credited)
(** historic newspaper information from Stuart Ansell)