Scroll through other Needham Market Real Ale pubs
Retains many exposed beams with a pleasant airy atmosphere. In 1544 two earlier cottages were replaced by present structure, then known as Hatfield House. It opened as a pub in 1620.
A fire in 1781 destroyed a brew-house, stable, granery, old parlour and bed chambers. The pub was then closed for 10 years.
listed building grade II
Local licensing authority for Needham Market is Mid Suffolk
last updated 13/07/2014
(Most pub, location & historic details collated by Nigel, Tony or Keith - original sources are credited)
(1891 census information from Dudley Diaper)
(information from book "Needham Market Pubs" by Desmond and Shelagh Herring)
(some old PO directory information courtesy of londonpublichouse.com)
(** historic newspaper information from Stuart Ansell)
(*** historic newspaper information from Bob Mitchell)