Needham Market Limes
previously known as Bull, Boule House, Buggs bar
99 High St, IP6 8DQ
grid reference TM 087 551
(details under review)
- 12 noon to 2.30pm & 6pm to 9.30pm.
listed building grade II*
View in Google Earth
Local licensing authority for Needham Market is Mid Suffolk
CAMRA Ipswich & East Suffolk branch.
last updated 02/09/2015
Bugs Bar is a pub within the hotel.
A classic 15th century timber framed building which was being used as an inn by the early 16th cent. Family orientated with a lively bar. It was once a calling house for pilgrims on their way to Bury St Edmunds and was previously called the Bull Inn and is believed to have once been named Boule House.
The original name may have derived from John Bull who owned the pub in 1566, or from monastic seals, ie a reference to a lead seal attached to a papal edict. Alternatively, bull baiting was also a popular local sport and may have once been practised nearby at about that time.
NB: Bull Inn closed in 1784. The current bar/restaurant reopened in 1955.
Lunchtime meals (not just snacks)
Traditional separate public bar
Traditional pub games available
Dogs are welcome
Children are not welcome
Pub is accessible to disabled customers
Bus stop nearby (see public transport tab for details)
Railway station about 0.3 mile away (see public transport tab for details)
WiFi available (a charge may apply)
Beer garden or other outside drinking area
(Most pub, location & historic details collated by Nigel, Tony or Keith - original sources are credited)
(information from book "Needham Market Pubs" by Desmond and Shelagh Herring)
(*** historic newspaper information from Bob Mitchell)