opened 16th Cent
Main Rd (A12), IP13 0AY
grid reference TM 328 578
listed building grade II
View in Google Earth
CAMRA Ipswich & East Suffolk branch.
last updated 22/03/2016
A former three roomed roadside pub that is now residential.
The building dates from the late 17th or early 18th century.
A report in the Ipswich Journal** in Mar 1820 states that :
To be sold by auction, unless previously disposed of by private contract, that well known free public house called the Bell Inn, situated in Marlesford, with 8 acres (little more or less) of arable and pasture land now in the occupation of Mr John Cone, proprietor, who will give possession thereof at lady Day next.
A report in the Ipswich Journal** in Jun 1820 states that :
To be sold by auction with immediate possession that long established well accustomed free public house , the Bell Inn, Marlesford, together with about 10 acres of rich meadow and arable land. The premises comprise a kitchen, 2 bars, 2 parlours, 4 chambers detached, new brick backhouse and dairy, barn, stable, neat-house, granary, and other outbuildings, garden and orchard. The house stands on the turnpike road from London to Yarmouth. This situation is extremely desirable for Jobber or butcher, for which business it possesses many local advantages independent of its present trade. The household furniture, growing crops, etc., may be taken at a valuation or not, at the option of the purchaser.
(Most pub, location & historic details collated by Nigel, Tony or Keith - original sources are credited)
(old PO directory information courtesy of londonpublichouse.com)
(** information from Stuart Ansell)