- Mon-Thu: 1200-1500, 1700-2300
- Fri-Sat: 1200-2400
- Sun: 1200-2300
- Tue-Fri: 1200-1400, 1800-2100
- Sat: 1200-1430, 1800-2100
- Sun: 1200-1430
listed building grade II*
View in Google Earth
Local licensing authority for Boxford is Babergh
last updated 06/04/2015
A former coaching inn. The building dates from the 16th century, with an 18th century frontage. According to Alfred Hedges' book, "Inns and Inn Signs of Norfolk and Suffolk, it's claimed that the Fleece was built by a local builder from the excess profits he made from building Boxford rectory. Hedges also tells us that the oak panelling comes from old box pews which prior to 1887 were in the local parish church.
Now owned by Mill Green Brewery who refurbished the building in 2011.
The six cask conditioned beers are mainly from Mill Green Brewery (just two miles away) and local guest ales, lagers & ciders (Calvors, Aspalls & Castlings Heath) from Suffolk and a small contribution from a London brewer (Meantime Stout & Wheat beer).
Lunchtime meals (not just snacks)
Traditional pub games available
Real coal or log fire
Dogs are welcome
Bus stop nearby (see public transport tab for details)
Beer garden or other outside drinking area
(Most pub, location & historic details collated by Nigel, Tony or Keith - original sources are credited)
(** historic newspaper information from Stuart Ansell)
(*** historic newspaper information from Bob Mitchell)
The fleece is a common reference to the wool trade that was very important in Suffolk, particularly in 17th & 18th cent. until cheap imports from the colonies undermined the trade.