Lowestoft Bar FM
previously known as Duke of Wellington, Wellington
11 Commercial Rd
grid reference TM 547 928
View in Google Earth
CAMRA North-East Suffolk branch.
last updated 13/01/2016
Currently closed & boarded up.
Listed as the Wellington in the 1910 Lowestoft Rate book, when the pub was owned by the Crown Brewery.
Listed as an eating house in 1861.
(Most pub, location & historic details collated by Nigel, Tony or Keith - original sources are credited)
In 1830 the Duke of Wellington was Prime Minister when the the Beer Act was introduced to help create Beer Houses - a new lower tier of premises permitted to sell alcohol. Under the 1830 Act any householder who paid rates could apply, with a one-off payment of two guineas, to sell beer or cider in their home (usually the front parlour) and even brew on the premises. The permission did not extend to the sale of spirits or fortified wines.