Lower Layham Queen's Head
The Street, IP7 5LZ
grid reference TM 029 401
opened 16th cent
owner free house
- Mon-Tue: 1900-2300
- Wed: closed
- Thu-Fri: 1900-2300
- Sat: 1200-1400, 1900-2300
- Sun: 1200-1500, 1900-2300
- Thu-Sun evenings.
listed building grade II
View in Google Earth
Lower Layham is part of the Layham parish
Local licensing authority for Lower Layham is Babergh
CAMRA Ipswich & East Suffolk branch.
last updated 22/03/2016
Located in a tiny hamlet, this cosy, friendly pub is nicely furnished within the main bar and has a small open fire located close to the servery. The other bar has a pool table and is simply furnished. Parts of the building are over 700 years old and a variety of features can be found: the bay windows are particularly fine.
Usually 4 ales on which regularly change. No longer open Mon to Fri lunchtime. Food served Wed to Sun evenings and Sat, Sun lunchtimes. Hadleigh Rotary club meet Thursday evenings in rear restaurant area. To the rear of the building is a separate restaurant / function room and also an enclosed garden area. Only one or two buses pass by the pub each week.
The building is believed to have originally been a mediaeval hall house, though it has been much altered since.
Beer served through handpulls
Lunchtime meals (not just snacks)
Separate public bar
Function room available to hire
Traditional pub games available
Pub is accessible to disabled customers
Beer garden or other outside drinking area
(Most pub, location & historic details collated by Nigel, Tony or Keith - original sources are credited)
(some old PO directory information courtesy of londonpublichouse.com)
(** historic newspaper information from Bob Mitchell)
(*** Last Orders is a free local newsletter - published by Suffolk CAMRA members since 1978)