Scroll through other Long Melford Real Ale pubs
This 17th cent. hotel bar is arranged around a central servery and has 12 letting rooms available. Food regularly available (12-2 & 6.30-9.30). Children are allowed in restaurant area.
The riot act was last read in England from the steps of the pub in 1885. Rioters set fire to the building but the occupants were unhurt.
A Victorian brewery was located on the site.
Adnams Bitter & GK IPA [H] plus guest beers
listed building grade II
Local licensing authority for Long Melford is Babergh
last updated 30/06/2013
(Most pub, location & historic details collated by Nigel, Tony or Keith - original sources are credited)
(some old PO directory information courtesy of londonpublichouse.com)
(** historic newspaper information from Stuart Ansell)
(*** historic newspaper information from Bob Mitchell)
(**** Last Orders is a free local newsletter - published by Suffolk CAMRA memers since 1978)
The crown is a simple sign to show loyalty to the reigning monarch and apart from the commonwealth era (1648-60) has been a pub sign for over 600 years.