Long Melford Bull
previously known as: Bull Tap, Black BullReal Ale
Hall St, CO10 9JG
grid reference TL 864 458
owner Greene King
hotelSomething we've got wrong about this establishment? Something more you think we should know about it? Please email us
regular real ales
Greene King IPA + Abbot plus guest beer
listed building grade II*
View in Google Earth
Local licensing authority for Long Melford is Babergh
CAMRA West Suffolk & Borders branch.
last updated 06/03/2017
An imposing 15th century 3* hotel with 25 rooms, used as an inn since at least 1580. The comfortable bar & lounge to the rear of the building (accessed from main entrance) overlook a courtyard and they welcome non residents.
It has featured in TV's Lovejoy.
Food is available 12-2.30 6.30-9.30.
Beer served through handpulls
Lunchtime meals (not just snacks)
Restaurant or separate dining area
Separate public bar
Pub is accessible to disabled customers
Bus stop nearby (see public transport tab for details)
Railway station about 3.5 miles away (see public transport tab for details)
Quiet pub - no electronic games, piped music or jukebox
Beer garden or other outside drinking area
(Most pub, location & historic details collated by Nigel, Tony or Keith - original sources are credited)
(some old PO directory information courtesy of te londonpublichouse.com)
(*** historic newspaper information from Bob Mitchell)
Old pictures from http://www.foxearth.org.uk
Name may be a sympathetic reference to a Papal bull - a lead seal attached to official religious edicts or documents - or a reference to Henry VIII who introduced a bulls head into his coat-of-arms after he defied a papal bull in 1538. Bull baiting was also quite widespread until it was banned in 1835.