grid reference TL 864 465
opened about 1830
owner Chestnut Group
(details under review)Something we've got wrong about this establishment? Something more you think we should know about it? Please email us
- 10-10.30 (Sun)
regular real ales
Adnams Bitter + Broadside
listed building grade II
Local licensing authority for Long Melford is Babergh
CAMRA West Suffolk & Borders branch.
last updated 07/01/2019
Long Melford Black Lion
previously known as: Lion
Real Ale is available here
The Green, CO10 9DN
A Georgian Hotel with 10 letting rooms, overlooking the famous huge village green and close to the church. It's also close to Melford hall (National Trust) and Kentwell Hall.
Dating back to at least 1740 - probably earlier.
Beer served through handpulls
Lunchtime meals (not just snacks)
Restaurant or separate dining area
Separate public bar
Traditional pub games available
Bus stop nearby (see public transport tab for details)
Railway station about 4.0 miles away (see public transport tab for details)
Beer garden or other outside drinking area
(Most pub, location & historic details collated by Nigel, Tony or Keith - original sources are credited)
(some old PO directory information courtesy of londonpublichouse.com)
(** historic newspaper information from Stuart Ansell)
(*** historic newspaper information from Bob Mitchell)
Old picture from http://www.foxearth.org.uk
The black lion is a heraldic sign mainly related to either Queen Philippa of Hainault - wife of Edward III and a popular 14th cent. queen who was married for over 40 years. Or it may be a reference to Owain Glyndwr - the celebrated 14th cent. Welsh chieftain.