opened 1842 circa
grid reference TL 932 707
listed building grade II
View in Google Earth
last updated 11/04/2015
now residential, the building dates from early to mid 19th century. Another pub of the same name stood in the High Street.
A report in the Ipswich Journal** on 07 Sep in 1842 states that :
Auction of the Crown Beer House, Ixworth, a new-built dwelling house with a large garden, stable, barn & convenient outbuildings, in the occupation of Mrs CAULDWELL.
A report in the Ipswich Journal** in Jan 1885 states :
At the Ixworth Petty Sessions of December 1884 the license for the Crown at Ixworth was transferred from Edmund Lambert, deceased, to Frederick Hicks.
Thetford Rd. was called Greyhound Lane until after 1901.
(Most pub, location & historic details collated by Nigel, Tony or Keith - original sources are credited)
(1861 census information from Malcolm Fairley)
(** historic newspaper information from Bob Mitchell)