560 Bramford Rd
grid reference TM 137 457
View in Google Earth
last updated 23/03/2015
Run as a private club called Churchill's until 2004. Demolished in Aug 2007 for a new low cost housing project.
(Most pub, location & historic details collated by Nigel, Tony or Keith - original sources are credited)
Once known as a "Tolly Folly". In the 1930s the Tollemache brewery underwent a large expansion, first taking over the Cambridge Star Brewery and then building a number of vast mock-baronial estate pubs, mostly in Ipswich. The ornate style, and the scale of the expansion, led to these new buildings being known as the Tolly Follies. They were losely based on the design of the Tollemache stately home, Helmingham Hall.
Helmingham Hall is a moated manor house in Helmingham. It was begun by John Tollemache in 1480 and has been owned by the Tollemache family ever since. The house is built around a courtyard in typical late medieval/Tudor style. It is not open to the public.