168 Spring Rd, IP4 5NR
grid reference TM 178 447
View in Google Earth
CAMRA Ipswich & East Suffolk branch.
last updated 26/07/2015
Now residential. In its later years, the Trafalgar was noted for a wider-than-average range of ales.
A report in the Ipswich Journal** on Nov-21 in 1891 when Owen Bird was the landlord states that :
Owen Bird the publican at the Trafalgar Inn gave evidence in the trial of William West who was found guilty of burglary. West had left the Old Times after closing and broke into the house of Thomas Brookfield at 134 Cauldhall Road, stealing three coats. He received 14 months hard labour.
A report in the Ipswich Journal** in Jul 1885 states :
At the Ipswich Petty Sessions of January 1885 the license for the Trafalgar, Spring Road, was transferred from Harry Cable to James Ward.
(Most pub, location & historic details collated by Nigel, Tony or Keith - original sources are credited)
(** historic newspaper information from Stuart Ansell)