Join CAMRA online
Photo of Spread Eagle

Ipswich Spread Eagle

Real Ale

1-3 Fore St, IP4 1JW

grid reference TM 167 443

owner Grain Brewery


(details under review)

Something we've got wrong about this establishment? Something more you think we should know about it? Please email us

opening hours:

  • Tue-Sat: 1200-0000
  • Sun: 1200-2230
(Times last updated 19/09/2015)

regular real ales

Grain range

WiFi information

See the board for the passphrase.

listed building grade II

View in Google Earth
Local licensing authority for Ipswich is Ipswich Borough Council

CAMRA Ipswich & East Suffolk branch.

last updated 10/10/2015

This distinctive Grade 2 listed building is the sole survivor of four pubs which once stood at this junction.

Recent refurbishment during summer 2015 has restored the whole building to a high standard and the split level bar has been sympathetically furnished throughout. Now up to six real ales on hand-pump (all from Grain) plus a wide selection of craft and imported beers. A selection of imported bottled beers are also available. Some bar snacks and daytime food options will be available soon.

The building dates from the 16th or 17th century.

Beer served through handpulls Beer served through handpulls

Real coal or log fire Real coal or log fire

station 0.9 mile away Railway station about 0.9 mile away (see public transport tab for details)

free WiFi Free WiFi

Beer garden or other outside drinking area Beer garden or other outside drinking area

(Most pub, location & historic details collated by Nigel, Tony or Keith - original sources are credited)

(** historic newspaper information from Stuart Ansell)

(*** historic newspaper information from Bob Mitchell)

(*** Last Orders is a free local newsletter - published by Suffolk CAMRA members since 1978)


The spread eagle was originally a Roman sign and later used by many countries including Austria, Germany, Russia, Spain & France. The sign is also used by many English noble families. Its popularity as an inn sign owes a lot to the fact that it was the device of Catherine of Aragon.