Scroll through other Ipswich closed premises
The last incarnation of this pub was built in about 1920s. Earlier pubs seem to have been listed for various other local streets so it may have moved site in former times - if you know any more details please let us know! Now demolished.
Bank St used to be a continuation of Foundation St. running through to College St.
The pub was listed in the 1844 White's Directory with carriers operating from the inn to Bildeston, Bury St Edmunds, Chelsworth, Eye, Framlingham, Fressingfield, Melford, Oakley, Thetford, Thorpe-le-Stoken, Wetheringsett
The 1963-1977 Ipswich licensing records (the most recent available) show that the pub was open at least up to 1977.
last updated 01/01/2015
(Most pub, location & historic details collated by Nigel, Tony or Keith - original sources are credited)
(** historic newspaper information from Stuart Ansell)
(*** historic newspaper information from Bob Mitchell)
Thomas Wolsey was the second most powerful man in Tudor England, after King Henry VIII. The son of an Ipswich tavern-keeper, Wolsey became a cardinal, then Lord Chancellor and, finally, Archbishop of Canterbury. After his swift fall from grace in 1530, the college which he'd planned for his native town was never completed. All that remains today is the small gateway located nearby in College Street.