Ipswich Running Buck
previously known as Canes, Buck, Roe-Buck?
13-15 St Margaret's Plain
grid reference TM 165 448
View in Google Earth
last updated 04/08/2015
Now used as a church drop-in centre after period as Canes Nightclub. This was one of Ipswich's most ancient inns; one of only 24 listed in a town assessment of 1689.
A reference in the Ipswich Journal*** on 07 Dec 1734 to the Roe-Buck in St Margaret's Parish, Ipswich.
The 1830 Pigot's Directory lists at St Margaret's square, whilst 1840 Pigot's Directory lists in Soane St. also listed as Soxne? st (in 1839)
A report in the Ipswich Journal** on Oct-20 in 1838 when Charles Andrews was the landlord states that :
The death was recorded after a long illness of Mr Joseph Andrews of Upper Orwell Street. The following day, in aphrensy, brought on by delirium tremens, aged 53 Mr Charles Andrews, landlord of the Running Buck.
A report in the Ipswich Journal*** on 19 Jan in 1839 states that :
Running Buck Inn, St Margaret's, Ipswich : M.ANDREWS thanks the public for the support offered to her late brother & confirms that the Brewery Department will be carried on, as usual, with the same good, Home-Brewed Beer.
A report in the Ipswich Journal** in Mar 1850 states that : Died on the 19th March, in his 60th year, Mr William Andrews, purser, R.N., second son of the late Mr John Andrews, Running Buck Ipswich
The 1861 census lists William Ashford who lived there with his father George and mother Maria and other siblings.
A report in the Ipswich Journal** in May 1880 states that : Died on the 27th April Eliza Harris aged 37, eldest daughter of George and Maria Ashford of the Running Buck.
(Most pub, location & historic details collated by Nigel, Tony or Keith - original sources are credited)
(detailed information by Carol Dyer)
(** historic newspaper information from Stuart Ansell)
(*** historic newspaper information from Bob Mitchell)