Ipswich Royal William
previously known as Hoofers
141 London Rd
grid reference TM 151 445
View in Google Earth
last updated 23/03/2015
Demolished for a new retail shop together with neighbouring Ipswich Arms in 1999.
The name is believed to refer to William IV.
A reference in the Ipswich Journal*** on 02 Jul 1726 to William Starling at the Royal William, Ipswich
May also be listed in Handford rd
A report in the Ipswich Journal** in May 1820 states that : On Wednesday died, in St Peter's, Ipswich, Mrs Moore, formerly of the Royal William Inn.
A report in the Ipswich Journal*** on 25 Oct in 1823 states that William WOOLLARD, Florist, moving from Whitton Crown to the Royal William, Ipswich to operate both businesses.
A report in the Ipswich Journal** in May 1835 states :
Married on the 23rd May 1835, Mr Woolard, of the Royal William Inn, Ipswich, to Margaret, second daughter of Mr Pateson, seeds-man, Friars Street, Ipswich.
A report in the Bury & Norwich Post** on Dec-28 in 1838 states that the pub was sold to Mr Woollard as part of the Samuel Alexander's Brewery sale, the Royal William selling at £1420
A report in the Ipswich Journal** on 27 May in 1854 states that :
To be let, The Royal William Inn, Ipswich wirh Bowling Green, pleasure grounds etc (No landlord noted)
A report in the Ipswich Journal*** on 29 Sep in 1860 states that :
The entire household furniture & stock-in-trade & effects, at the direction of the Proprietor (not named) at the Royal William Inn, Ipswich, in 230 Lots
A report in the Ipswich Journal** of November 1860 states that :
A notice in the Ipswich Journal of November 1860. A first rate Tavern and Pleasure Gardens: An old established free house, eligibly situated in the populous and rapidly increasing County Town of Ipswich. Mr B Rix is instructed by the proprietors to let by tender, with immediate possession, for a term of seven years, "The Royal William" Situate near the entrance to the town of Ipswich on the London Road. The Tavern, contains entrance lobby, mixing bar, with capital cellar in the basement, private bar, tap room, large billiard room, parlour, upper sitting room, five bedrooms, back kitchen, larder, and offices with yards, stabling and outhouse in the rear, and beyond these a garden with forcing house etc.enclosed by high brick walls, for the cultivation of flowers, fruits and vegetables. The Pleasure Grounds, well known as the "Vauxhall Gardens" consists of a spacious promenade green, on either side of which are placed an orchestra with retiring room; saloon, adapted for accommodation of nearly 2000 persons, fitted with bar and music gallery; refreshment booths and boxes, an excellent and secluded bowling green, lawn and parterres, tastefully laid out and planted with shrubs and flowers in rich profusion and covering altogether an area of four acres(thereabouts) intersected by winding paths an extending on a gentle slope from the house towards the picturesque banks of the Gipping whose limp flood washes the southern extremity of the grounds.
A report in the Ipswich Journal*** on 14 May in 1872 states that :
Leonard DRIVER, the Proprietor, advertised the "Royal William Gardens" Ipswich, without reference to the Inn. These beautiful & extensive gardens have been entirely Renovated & Improved & will be opened for the Season on Whit-Sunday - Admission by refreshment ticket. First rate Entertainment for the Whitsun Week, commencing on Whit-Tuesday. Change of Entertainment every other evening. The best London Talent has been engaged and visitors may rely upon having three or four hours first-class, attractive & varied entertainment. Leonard Driver hope to make the Gardens a source of pleasure & health to the people of Ipswich.
(Most pub, location & historic details collated by Nigel, Tony or Keith - original sources are credited)
(** historic newspaper information from Stuart Ansell)
(*** historic newspaper information from Bob Mitchell)