Ipswich Royal Oak
closed January 13th, 2014
last owner Punch Taverns
175 Felixstowe Rd, IP3 8EB
grid reference TM 182 436
View in Google Earth
CAMRA Ipswich & East Suffolk branch.
last updated 01/09/2015
Closed for some time. In September 2015 it was announced that the Co-Op has bought it and intends to turn it into a hostel and drop-in centre for recovering street-drinkers and other addicts.
This distinctive two roomed pub was extensively refurbished early in the 21st century, when it was knocked through to make one large room. Pool table and large screen TV showing sport.
Live music several nights per week.
One of three pubs of this name to have existed in the town, the others having stood in Northgate St and Tavern St. The license from the Northgate Street pub was transferred here when this pub was opened in 1882.
(Most pub, location & historic details collated by Nigel, Tony or Keith - original sources are credited)
(** historic newspaper information from Stuart Ansell)
(*** historic newspaper information from Bob Mitchell)