Ipswich Lord Nelson
previously known as: Noah's ArkReal Ale
81 Fore St, IP4 1JZ
grid reference TM 168 441
bar / diner
(details under review)Something we've got wrong about this establishment? Something more you think we should know about it? Please email us
- 12-11.30 (12.30 Fri & Sat)
- 12-late (Sun)
regular real ales
Adnams Bitter, Broadside, Explorer, seasonal + guest beers [G]
Ales are dispensed from casks behind the wall through faux wooden barrels.
listed building grade II
View in Google Earth
Local licensing authority for Ipswich is Ipswich Borough Council
CAMRA Ipswich & East Suffolk branch.
last updated 20/08/2016
Set in a small part of the historic port area still remaining. It retains a half timbered front with dormer windows. An unusual gravity dispense system is used which incorporates a row of old wooden casks to good effect and guarantees a temperature controlled real ale.
Families are welcome to mix with an interesting and diverse clientèle which includes international travellers attracted from the rejuvenated wet dock and students from the new university campus.
The building dates from the 17th century, though the brick frontage was added in the 20th to aid cleaning up after the many floods that affected the area. Originally called Noah's Ark, the name changed in about 1800 when Admiral Nelson was appointed High Steward of Ipswich.
Refurbished early in the 2010s, bringing the pub up to date whilst keeping all of the quirky traditional features.
Beer served direct from the barrel by gravity
Lunchtime meals (not just snacks)
Traditional pub games available
Pub is accessible to disabled customers
Bus stop nearby (see public transport tab for details)
Railway station about 0.80 mile away (see public transport tab for details)
Beer garden or other outside drinking area
(Most pub, location & historic details collated by Nigel, Tony or Keith - original sources are credited)
(** historic newspaper information from Stuart Ansell)
(*** Last Orders is a free local newsletter - published by Suffolk CAMRA memers since 1978)