previously known as Asylum Arms
closed May 2013
Foxhall Rd, IP3 8LJ
grid reference TM 187 440
View in Google Earth
last updated 22/03/2015
Popular pub with sports theme and Sky TV.
Closed late May 2013; being converted into yet another Tesco that summer.
The Asylum Arms name refers to the nearby Borough Asylum (now St Clement's Hospital).
A report in the Ipswich Journal** in Sep 1870 states that :
John Carrington was applying for a spirit license for the Asylum Hotel which was near to the newly opened Asylum which contained 70 patients whose friends frequently visited his house. The nearest house was the Freehold Tavern which they believed would soon be converted into a school for the Union boys, then the nearest would be the Ship on one side and the Golden Key on the other. Mr William Burnett stated that he built the house for £600, it was assessed at £22 and let at £30 he lived at the house which had good stabling. Mr Charrington was formerly a farmer at Chelmondiston for Mr Berner's who had sent a note as to Mr Charrington's good character. The magistrates after consideration decided to refuse the application but would reconsider in 12 months time if the demands of the Asylum were such as to require greater public house accommodation. This was not to be considered a pledge.
The pub's name was changed in the 1920s. Originally a beerhouse, it was granted its first full license in February 1920.
Thomas Sharman (1891)
(Most pub, location & historic details collated by Nigel, Tony or Keith - original sources are credited)
(** historic newspaper information from Stuart Ansell)