grid reference TM 171 437Something we've got wrong about this establishment? Something more you think we should know about it? Please email us
CAMRA Ipswich & East Suffolk branch.last updated 15/05/2018
Ipswich Happy Return
also traded as as: Happy Returnshistorical era: late 20th century
73 Wykes Bishop St
Recorded as being in Holywells Road in the 1903-1961 Ipswich licensing records.
Alice Crapnell and Arthur Felgate married and were running this pub in 1901.
NB: it may have been rebuilt sometime as this mainly industrial area developed, but we have no records of this happening.
As the shipyards in this area were gradually replaced by industrial premises and residential housing, the road network evolved and changed quite a lot in this area, hence contributing to the regular change of address.
In 1861 listed at 73 Brunswick Road, St Clement's parish. [Listed after Albion Street & Wykes Bishops Street & before Cliff Road].
In 1865 & 1871 it was listed at 73 Orwell Works Road.
In 1888-1956 was listed at 9 Holy Wells Road.
The pub is shown (though not named) on this old OS map from about the end of the 19th century. larger map
(Most pub, location & historic details collated by Nigel, Tony or Keith - original sources are credited)
(detailed information by David Clow)
(census information from Dudley Diaper)
Old OS map reproduced with the permission of the National Library of Scotland.